Skip to main content

What are the charges for filing a false domestic violence police report in NYC?

Brooklyn, NY |

I filed a false police report against my boyfriend about 4 nights ago. All the report stated was that he grabbed my arm and threw my phone, which never happened. I just want to know what is the possible penalty for me with this false accusation?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Be careful with the information that is posted on this site as it is not privileged information and can be used against you. You can be arrested and charged with filing a false police report. New York has three different statutes for filing false police reports, Penal Code Sections 240.50, 240.55, and 240.60. The penalty can be a misdemeanor or felony. You need to speak to an experienced attorney to discuss your options. I am a former Brooklyn prosecutor if you would like to contact me for a free consultation.

This response is for general information purposes only and does not constitute the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Past results do not guarantee future results.


Filing a false police report is serious, and the can penalties vary significantly depending on a number of factors. You should contact an attorney with criminal law experience. Good luck!

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: Ms. Brown’s response above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown’s responses to all questions posted on AVVO are intended to provide general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. In order to offer legal advice about this or any similar situation, a qualified attorney would likely need to consider many factors not stated in the question or response above. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, please contact an attorney in your state. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York, and may be contacted by email at:



I had a false domestic violence charge filed against me during a divorce case and it cost me roughly $10K to fight it in both civil and criminal court. I hope you do the right thing, but I would seek legal advice because you seem like you acted in a fit of passion. Remember, if he is convicted and has a job with the public, say a police officer or even a firefighter, you can ruin his career. Regardless, even after the case is filed and even dismissed, some people are going to assume he was guilty.