Skip to main content

What are the chances of working in the U.S. as a non-professional?

Columbus, OH |

49 year old female; no professional skills; no college degree; speaks Spanish; took a realestate course over 20 years ago in Colombia. Has done some volunteer work.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Unfortunately it is harder and harder these days for non-professionals to obtain a visa. I often say to people who Think that it is easy to get a visa that they do not give visas to the people who Economically need them, Just topeople who already are established in their profession or have lots of money to begin with! Call me cynical. In all seriousness based upon your Fact pattern the only available visas I could see would be being sponsored by an employer in United States or a legit marriage to United States citizen.

This answer is for general information only and is not intended as legal advice regarding your specific situation. In order to assess your legal matter properly and obtain legal advice, you must contact an attorney directly. Provision of this general information does not create an attorney-client relationship.



I don't see even by having a sponsor how the U.S. government could justify giving someone with no work background, no expertise nor credentials a job knowing their are millions of people out of work who could do the same job.


I've shared your question with Avvo's immigration law forum, where your question may be seen by more attorneys who practice in this area of the law. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***


If you have an employer willing to petition for you the are some possibilities. You should confer with an immigration explore possibilities.


I'm afraid that I don't see much hope with what you state. I think that you should go to college and get a degree ... then an H ... then a greencard.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.