Skip to main content

What are the chances of reducing a 39:4-91 ticket to no points and only a fine if I have a court date?

Fairfield, NJ |

The fire truck was sitting in the median area of rt 46 east and west with no lights or sirens and when I got closer I pulled to the right and yielded. The truck didn't pull out and I thought he either had to get over to the parking lot I had pulled in front of or he was not leaving so I drove slowly in the shoulder for about 5 seconds before the truck pulled out 100 yards behind into the left lane, still no sirens. Before having a chance to pull over again, a cop pulled me over and gave me a ticket and court date. The violation also happened in a safe corridor.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Very good. This a 2 point ticket. You can get a 97.2 unsafe for the asking. High fine though $439. With an attorney you may be able to do better but the savings would be offset by the attorney fee.


Since it is in a safe corridor you would be looking at a big bill. The fine can go to $500 which doubles to $1000 in the safe corridor if you get the max. And since you asked about the zero point offense, that comes with a $200 fine (after doubling), $250 surcharge, $39 costs so $459. Either way an expensive 2 points. Hire a lawyer to minimize things.

Law Offices of James A. Abate (732) 412-2364


You should talk your situation over with an attorney about the prospect of getting your ticket reduced. Aside from the facts of your case, your driving history will also play a factor in determining the final outcome of your case. Call one of us to schedule a consultation before your court date. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed. I am an attorney licensed to practice in the State of New Jersey. Consult a local attorney if your case arises outside the State of New Jersey. If you found this answer to be HELPFUL then you can vote that this answer was helpful. If you found this answer to be the BEST ANSWER of all those presented, then you can vote that this answer was the best answer presented. Also, please be advised that any response to any comments made by the asker do not create an attonrey client relationship.


Best bet is to hire a local attorney who handles these types of cases. Without representation, its unlikely that you will get offered anything satisfactory and you could get pressured into a plea agreement. An experienced attorney can review the paperwork and negotiate the best deal for you (or handle the Trial). I offer free 30 minute consultations. Good luck.

Matthew C. Simon, Esq.
The Law Office of John Tierney
1259 Route 46 East
Building 3, Suite 133
Parsippany NJ 07054
Tel: 973-588-3050
Fax: 973-588-3048

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer