Skip to main content

What are our chances of obtaining a green card for my husband, if my bad past has stopped us obtaining joint accounts?

Allen, TX |

Myself & my husband have been married for 14 months.We had our interview 6/26/12 & we've been told we will hear back from them by 3/12/13.My minor criminal record & money owed to almost every retail bank (even the banks inside Walmart) as made it difficult obtaining joint credit. When we applied for an apartment lease, we were turned by 4 apartment complex due to my criminal record. After more than 13 months of marriage & searching we've only managed to find a bank that would accept us for a joint account & we have a sub lease from a family friend, who had to leave town for work and didn't want to break his apartment lease.Our main concern is immigration will expect us to have had all this for a while,what are our chances that we will get accepted for a green card now?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Tough to say without evaluating your complete case.


I agree. It's extremely important that you meet with a qualified immigration attorney in your area. This question requires a good deal of information that is of a personal nature and ought not be discussed on a public forum. Please feel free to call myself or another colleague in the north DFW area for a consultation.

Please remember this is not official legal advice, and this is no way establishes an attorney-client relationship. For a free 15 minute phone consultation please call 972-638-7207.


What is your "minor criminal record"?

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer