Skip to main content

What are my rights with CPS

Longview, TX |

CPS removed my children sept 3rd and placed them in my moms care and I have yet to hear when I can have my kids back I have done everything asked including staying clean but they wont give me the chance to take another drug test and they wont let me have my kids back i need to know what my rights are

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Typically you have the right to a jury trial and a court appointed attorney.

As I have represented many in CPS cases, I stress how important it is to contact an attorney early. I would also suggest that you don't want a court appointed attorney unless you truly cannot afford an attorney.

I offer free consultations and am quite familiar with family judges in Harris County and nearby counties.


Mr. Dick is licensed to practice law in Texas and office located in Harris County. His phone number is 832-207-2007 or 713-510-4500 or his email address is listed below.

Mr. Dick is ethically required to state that the response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney client relationship. These responses are only in the form of legal education and are intended to only provide general information about the matter within the question. Often times the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that if known could significantly change the reply or make such reply unsuitable. Mr. Dick strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in his or her state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

By using this site you understand and agree that there is no attorney client relationship or confidentiality between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in the subject area in your jurisdiction, who is familiar with your specific facts and all of the circumstances and with whom you have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question or omitted from the question.

Circular 230 Disclaimer - Any information in this comment may not be used to eliminate or reduce penalties by the IRS or any other governmental agency.


You might consider going and getting another drug test on your own. If it's clean, send it in. The fact is, if you failed a drug test earlier, you don't get go to back to square-one just because you can pass one now.

Mr. Dick is right. Hire a family law attorney with CPS experience as soon as you can.