Skip to main content

What are my rights as a mother?

Owosso, MI |

My ex currently has full custody of our child. Recently our child was diagnosed with ADHD, Attchment Disorder, Mimic Personality Disorder. He is only 5 years old. I have not met these doctor's who have diagnosed him or his therapist. I need to know how t get a second opinion on this? What are my rights?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


The key is the documents. You need to talk to an attorney after the attorney has read the documents
800 466 0000


Your rights will depend on what you mean by your statement that your ex has "full custody". Custody is divided into physical custody and legal custody. The court order may grant your ex sole physical custody, but you may have joint legal custody. In that situation, even though you may have limited rights to have your child with you, you would have the right to your child's medical records and to make decisions regarding the child's welfare.

If, however, your ex has sole legal and physical custody, you may have very little to no rights.

You should seek the advice of an attorney to help you understand what your custody situation is (based on any court orders).

At Miel & Carr, PLC, we offer a free consultation and handle cases throughout the state of Michigan. Please feel free to contact our office at 989-831-5208 for a free, no obligation consultation.

- Jim King