Skip to main content

What are my rights? What are my options?

Newton, KS |

I am a Kansas resident. I applied for a joint loan with my girlfriend to buy her a vehicle. We broke up and she took the vehicle with the intent of paying for it and eventually getting a new loan in her name only. I am in fact the primary on the loan as well. She has missed a payment on the loan and before it gets worse I would like to know if I have any rights to get the vehicle or force her to sell it. We are both on the title for the vehicle as well. What are my options?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


It depends on how your names appear on the title:

Boyfriend AND Girlfriend, or
Boyfriend OR Girlfriend

If the title has AND between the names, then both of you are required to sign the title in order to transfer or sell the car. If OR is between the names, then only one of you needs to sign the title to transfer or sell.

Sometimes, the title does not have an AND or an OR between the names, and you will have to contact your DMV to determine which way the joint ownership is presumed to be held.

I am an attorney who is only licensed in the State of Florida. My answer is general legal advice based upon what I perceive your question to be, and should not be relied upon because every person's facts and circumstances are unique, and because specific laws vary from state to state. To completely evaluate a legal issue requires reviewing and evaluating all relevant facts, applicable laws and other information. My answer does not create an attorney-client relationship, and offered for informational purposes only.

Peggy M. Raddatz

Peggy M. Raddatz


Great answer counsel

Dana L. Manner

Dana L. Manner


Thank you, kindly.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer