Skip to main content

What are my options if the business responsible for the accident offered me only enough for medical and nothing for my vehicle?

Boise, ID |

So I was rear ended by a company vehicle, other party at fault, and wanted to settle it without getting insurance involved. They offered $2,200. My medical expenses are about $2,000 and what is left won't get me a running vehicle, as my previous one was totaled in the accident. I have no job to make up the extra bit I would need to even get a reliably running vehicle.

What are my options here? I feel like I'm being utterly screwed.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

You should have been compensated for the vehicle separately, and whether the amount you will receive is enough for another vehicle or not is not really relevant to how much you should receive for your injuries. You are entitled to all past and future medical expenses, lost income and pain and suffering caused by the collision. I think it was a mistake to not involve the insurance since a private party is not going to know how to adjust a personal injury claim. At this point you could either insist that they submit it to the insurance company or consult a good Idaho personal injury attorney.

Good luck.


You need to hire a lawyer and get insurance involved. You are going to get totally taken advantage of with this scenario. They have insurance. They caused an accident. Thats what it is purchased for. Please do not go this route and hire a lawyer.


Never deal with an insurance company without a lawyer. Statistics show insurance companies pay unrepresented parties 11% of what they would obtain with a personal injury lawyer.


Attorneys who do this kind of work almost always agree to a fee measured as a contingent percentage, and many will "guarantee" the offer you already have to you, meaning the percentage will be taken only from the additional settlement or judgment you receive. For this reason, and for the reasons stated succinctly by Mr. Lassen, you should retain local counsel without delay. To find someone reliable, look for personal referrals from other clients whose cases were handled well, and so not put much reliance in the lawfirms that advertise heavily. There are Boise PI attorneys who occasionally post on Avvo, and would almost certainly appreciate your business.

Best wishes for a favorable outcome, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


Look after yourself, not the person who injured you. Get their insurance information and make a claim. Hire an attorney to help you. Do not delay. See the attached link for more information.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer