What are my options for reopening my denied F1 application?

Grand Rapids, MI |

My Change of status from H4 to F1 got denied. I had received a RFE. Reason for denial being RFE documents not received in the stipulated timeframe. I had sent the documents within a week of the RFE which USPS did not deliver. I do not have proof in terms of tracking number or anything similar that establishes that I had sent the documents. The notice that I received from USCIS states that I need mailing proof to file a PTR. Do I have any options here? I am out of status now and in all likelyhood will miss a semester if this is not resolved. Please advise. Thank you.

File a new petition and try to consular process from your home consulate if you can. That'll probably be faster than trying to change your status in the US

Bindi Parikh
Attorney at law
bindi@path2immigration.com

Go home and apply for an F-1 visa stamp there.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

You may apply for an F-1 visa directly with the US Embassy or Consulate in your home country.