Skip to main content

What are my options career wise if I have a theft conviction from June 2009 and a DUI conviction from May 2009?

Newark, OH |

I was arrested October 2008 for petty theft. I was 19 and stealing alcohol in Ohio. I had a serious drug and alcohol problem. I received intervention in lieu of conviction on March 4, 2009 but got a DUI on March 9, 2009 in another county in Ohio. I plead guilty to stay out of jail from the advice of my public defender. This opened my other case when I told my PO and was convicted of theft in June 2009. My PO told me I would be able to get an expungement for the theft charge, but I can't. The DUI counts as a subsequent offense, something I was NEVER told. I am a senior at a University majoring in accounting and am afraid that all my hard work and money will be useless. I am clean and sober now, in church, in school, married, and have turned my life around completely. What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

First and foremost do not despair! In the short term it will be a problem however for most entry level positions the issue will be more about how you handle the problem than what you did.

Be sure to mention the issue in your letters. Discuss how the whole thing changed your life and what you do to stay clean and sober. Further when you apply for a job, instead of offering recommendations if requested, send along recommendations that acknowledge they know about your previous issues and how you addressed those issues.

As for your plea's , you should find competent counsel and see if these plea's can be attacked collaterally and if you could get anything expunged do to your failure to be given all of the facts. If this is impossible you may want to see about getting a Governor's pardon or if it is too soon to see if your state has a statute that relieves you from the civil disabilities of a conviction. If so, apply for that at the very least. You may want to see someone who specializes in post conviction relief or appeals as they may be able to help you best. You should also try to hire the best and most experienced attorney you can find to reduce the possibilities of miscommunication again.

Good luck.

This answer does not, nor is it intended to, create an attorney-client relationship or constitute attorney advertising. Rather, it is offered solely for information purposes. Since the facts of each case are different, it is critical to consult with qualified counsel with whom information can be shared and assessed under an attorney-client privilege, so that competent advice can be obtained on which you can make informed decisions.


While I agree with my colleague's advice, and even if you do as he says, a theft offense will haunt you for the rest of your life. Think manual labor with a possible upgrade to MacDonald's.


Theft is bad. Many people can live with OVI.


You will be hard pressed to get a job in the accounting world. Responsibility for financial information does not usually go to someone with a theft on their record.

You might want to discuss your options with a career counselor before you leave college with a degree in a field that wont hire you.

This answer is not meant to be legal advice from its provider. It does not create a client/attorney relationship and any action taken based on this answer is at your own risk.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer