What are my legal rights to evict my 24 year old step daughter from my house...the house is in my and my wifes name??

Lilburn, GA |

what are my legal rights to evict my 24 year old step daughter from my house...the house is in my and my wifes name??

Depens in part of the agreement you have with stepdaugher--written or oral? Does she pay rent or not? What other terms to yuoru agreement with her exist? You may have to evict her in accordance with GA laws, just as if she was a tenant. You may not. Recommend you repost with more facts about why step daugher lives there and under what arrangement her stay was made or see a local landlord tenant attorney and discuss the facts.

FYI, you didn't mention your wifes' position in the matter. SOunds like potential for a messy situation. You and your wife would need to be acting in concert with one another on the matter, or it could really get hairy.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I do five my 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Eviction rights are dependent upon the type of tenancy she has. If there is no written lease, you must provide at least 60-Days advance notice before you would have the right to evict. If there is an agreement between you, you must abide by the terms of the agreement.

To actually evict your step-daughter, you would have to file an action in your county's Magistrate Court.

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.