Skip to main content

What are my legal options to collect on unpaid restitution?

Delaware, OH |

In 2006, my apartment was broken into. A few years later, they caught and convicted the burglar. He was ordered to pay ~ $6500 in restitution over a 5yr period. He made a few payments of $50 or so before the payments stopped. I contacted his parole officer several times and she responded that he was "working on getting money to pay". Then, I heard he was convicted of some other crime, so he was in jail and couldn't make payments at all. I could really use the restitution payment, even it if it's a reduced amount. Is there anything I can do to collect on it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


If there is court ordered restitution, then there is already a mechanism to collect it through the court. However, just as one can not squeeze blood from a turnip, someone unemployed and sitting in jail isn't going to have an income to go against for the payments.

You might check with your local prosecution office on how they generally handle enforcement of the restitution order.


If he owns any property you may be able to attach a lien on the property. If he does not own anything and is in jail then you may be out of luck. You should contact the victim's advocate to see if you can apply for victim's compensation fund money.

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer