Skip to main content

What are my consequences for shoplifting at Walmart?

Sacramento, CA |

I am going to court being charge for shoplifting at Walmart. They made me sign papers admitting that I shoplifted. They let me go after they took down my information. I was charged for stealing about $100 worth of stuff. I am just wondering, what are my consequences? Like how much will I actually have to pay after going to court? What am I facing? Will I get probation, jail time or any fees? thank you.

this is my first offense and I am being charged as a misdemedor. I am a full time college student 18 years old. I do not have the money for an attorney.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


A couple of questions first. Is this your first criminal offense?
If it is you may be eligible for a diversion program which will require you to pay restitution, meaning you have to pay back the money or give back the merchandise plus do community service hours and/or pay some court costs. If you do this your case may be dismissed. Otherwise you would be looking at a small fine and or a period of probation.


It will be on your record and you may regret having it there.

Hire an Attorney to
map out the circumstances,
look at the proof,
test the allegation of theft,
defend your rights....

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Please remember to designate your question's BEST ANSWER.

Curt Harrington
Certified Tax Specialist -- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization
Electrical-Chemical-Mechanical Patent (Intellectual Property) Attorney
(562) 594-9784
About Curt:
Visit the Library:

Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.


You need to speak with a private attorney to handle your case and work to prevent you from being convicted of a crime and having a permanent criminal record!

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.


If you were actually charged by the police you should retain an attorney . This offense has long lasting effects. An attorney might be able to get you an alternative sentence which will get the matter reduced or dismissed.

Andrew Roberts

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer