Skip to main content

What are injured workers rights regarding settlement?

Bridgewater, MA |

I have accepted workers compensation claims for injuries suffered at work. It is our understanding that an injured worker can either keep a case open and continue treatment for injuries or settle and close the case. Are these laws the same in every state?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

For the most part yes. However, if you need future medical treatment it is not wise to close out your case short of the statute of limitations in your state because you are cheating yourself out of medical payments and potential future benefits. I would advise you not to give the worker’s comp. carrier a recorded statement.

Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.


In principle, yes. The details and logistics vary dramatically. You say you have "accepted" claims. This would make you an employer. You should consult your WC carrier. They will guide you and assign counsel if necessary.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate by clicking the up icon. Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Candiano is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Indiana. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Links:


Essentially, yes.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.