What are grounds for alimony?

Jacksonville, FL |

Almost 4 yr of marriage, wife in and out of work (due to laziness and calling out) Just lost job again now wants alimony. No children. Been separated 2 months not living together and husband found someone else during that time. She now wants to claim infidelity and get alimony?

Filed under: Divorce Alimony

I would recommend you review the Florida statute found in 61.08. I have attached a link for your review.

One of the main components is need of one party versus the ability to pay of the other. Consult with a local attorney to discuss your case fully.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

It is very doubtful that this person would receive any form of alimony.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq., 386-337-8239

From the facts you have presented, it is not likely that your wife would be granted alimony. For starters, it is a short term marriage. As my colleague stated, alimony is also based on a party's need for it and the other party's ability to pay it. There are many factors that are considered, so I recommend that you speak to a local attorney regarding the details of your case.

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.

Contact a Jacksonville divorce attorney.

www.familylawjax.com

Here is the link for Chapter 61.08 re: alimony.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando/Longwood/Central Florida)

Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.