What are California residential tenants rights when landlord / property is in foreclosure? Must continue paying rent? etc.?

San Diego, CA |

Just wondering what rights I as a tenant have knowing that property I live in will be foreclosed on soon.

When it comes to possession of a property, as long as you desire to live there, you are obligated to pay rent. If you wish to remain in the property, your lease will likely transfer with the sale provided the new owner is an investor. If the new owner will be moving into the residence, you will have 90 days after the foreclosure sale to vacate.

Legal disclaimer: Click on the name or picture of the lawyer answering your question to see their profile, and then you can click the view website tab to find out detailed information on your topic. The information provided on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.

You should contact HERA as a California resident. This organization is very well-versed in the rights of residents including tenants in housing at risk of foreclosure.

This is not a substitute for a consultation with an attorney or advocate with a background in housing and foreclosure law.

Michael Ryan Juarez

Michael Ryan Juarez

Once again, a great link. Thank you.

Yes you must continue paying rent. Here's a recent article in Union Tribune with additional contact info at the end http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2010/jul/05/some-advice-for-renters/?page=1#article

Yes, tenants must continue to pay rent after foreclosure of the leased property. It most circumstances federal law entitles tenants to 90-days notice prior to removal by landlord after foreclosure. Yet, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, if your tenancy is not bona fide, ie you were renting from a family member or living in the property for free, you may only be entitled to a 3-day notice before eviction proceedings begin. My advice, seek a landlord-tenant lawyer in your jurisdiction and see what protections you are afforded under the law. It may also be prudent to talk to the new landlord and see if he desires to keep you as a tenant long term.

All content posted on marcusmoraleslaw.com and avvo.com is for educational purposes only and should not be relied on as legal advice. Any information conveyed to marcusmoraleslaw.com, avvo.com or by telephone to the Law Offices of Marcus W. Morales does not create an attorney-client relationship until an attorney-client fee agreement has been entered into and signed by both parties.

Michael Ryan Juarez

Michael Ryan Juarez

Great answer. I couldn't agree more.