Skip to main content

What amount in damages can I sue for when suing for Defamation and Professional Negligence?

Miami, FL |

I've already filled the suit against my Property Manager and The Management Company, I'm in the process of admending my complaint. I'm suing for $50,000. I'm not sure if that's too high or too low. My damages are one week's pay, emotional distress, defamation, professional negligence, negligence retention and training, loss of community. Back ground info...I work for the construction company that's renovating my and another apartment building, I work at the second building not the one I live at. Property manager made false accusations about me stating I told residents in building about the renovation process, I was fired then rehired on two conditions resigning from the tenant council board and signing a confidential agreement. Do property managers have a duty of care responsibility?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Bottom line is retain a local lawyer so you don't sabotage your claim.


Hire an attorney. With limited exceptions an owner or tenant cannot sue a property manager or the management company. Only the property owner can sue and you have to sue the property owner.

This communication is not intended to create an attorney/client relationship. It is always recommended you consult an attorney in person to discuss your case. The Law Offices of Stage & Associates practices state-wide and represents homeowners and community associations. Please visit our website at


Your initiated litigation is just beginning (and it does get tougher from here).

As other counsel have mentioned, consult an attorney in your area as soon as you can.

DISCLAIMER: We do not have an attorney-client relationship. Only those persons who have a signed written fee agreement and authority to represent with me is an actual client. This response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than my educated opinion or viewpoint. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. I recommend you consult a lawyer if you want professional assurance that this information, and your interpretation of it, is appropriate to your particular situation. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice from an attorney in your area.



Right now, I can't afford an attorney I wish I could.. Thank you for the advice


I see no real damages. The demand for damages in a Complaint in Florida is almost always "in excess of the minimal jurisdictional limits of the court."

Unless you can prove damages you are wasting your time and exposing yourself to paying the other side's costs and potentially fees.

This is a summary based on incomplete facts. You should not rely on it as legal advise. No attorney-client relationship is intended to be formed. You may call me 772-562-4570; email me, or visit my website

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer