Skip to main content

What am I looking at for potential penalties? How will this affect renewal of my F-1 visa?

Ann Arbor, MI |

Arrested for DUI on Saturday, BAC was 0.17, 2-car accident but no one was injured. On F-1 visa, honors student with high GPA, graduating this May, no criminal record, only traffic violation I have was a speeding ticket 5-10 mph over. Will very likely return to the university next year for Master's, so I will need to get a new F-1 visa.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should be fine a single DUI does not generally have any immigration consequences. Neither does a speeding ticket.


A DUI is not considered a "crime of moral turpitude". You should be able to renew your F-1 visa.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Know Your Rights!
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Nothing really, if you stay away from trouble in the future.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


A single DUI will GENERALLY not make you inadmissible for criminal reasons. However, at some consulates, a DUI may prompt them to consider whether you are an alcoholic and inadmissible for medical reasons.

*This is not intended as legal advice. Individuals should consult an attorney to review individual circumstances of their case.