Skip to main content

What actions can I take against someone who has written a check I cashed then put a stop payment on it?

Lincoln Park, MI |

A friend who was staying with me received a check from her husband. Being she just moved to the area she had not found a branch of her bank so I deposited this check, let it clear in my bank then gave her the money. the day after said check was returned stop payment to my bank.

+ Read More

Filed under: Criminal charges Fraud
Attorney answers 3


sounds like fraud to me. you need to report it to the local police.


Contact the police, and make sure you tell them you are reporting fraud. Otherwise, you may get an officer trying to dismiss it as a "civil" matter. If the amount of the check is sizable, the police should take an interest.

The response I have provided is general in nature, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. My practice is based in Rhode Island, and the law and practice in other states or jurisdictions may be different.


You should call the police and report the fraud.

This is general information and not legal advise. This communication does not create a lawyer-client relationship.