Skip to main content

What, if any, recourse do I have as the victim of adoption fraud?

Kalamazoo, MI |

In Nov. 2012, my wife and I adopted a baby via domestic direct placement. One month post-placement (the day before the termination of parental rights hearing), the birth mother demanded the baby's return. Subsequent to all of this, we have discovered that this act was premeditated, money motivated, and something that this birth mother has done with other children. She is currently embroiled in a custody case with the baby's birth father who supported the adoption. What, if any, legal recourse do we have in this situation? We are heartbroken to have lost a baby we bonded to as parents. We also lost $7,000 to the failed adoption and we don't want her to be able to do this to other parents with additional children she may bear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Sue her in small claims court or hire an attorney and help the baby's father. Maybe he will let you visit from time to time with the child.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced since 1974. I practice in Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. These answers do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend I believe in telling the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ.. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are preparation of court documents it is , less expensive. However generally I believe an attorney is better than none.