Skip to main content

Were my civil rights violated? If so, what can I do about it?

Dayton, KY |

I was a victim of a 1st degree burglary. The police made 2 arrests. Right before trial I met with the arresting officer, prosecutor, and a witness. At that time they told me one of the suspects admitted to the role they played in the crime 4 months prior to the meeting. At that time the prosecutor said "I'm just gonna dismiss it and not persue the others involved." After he stated this the arresting officer yelled at me saying "I have 20 different things to incriminate you on." The prosecutor then said "Thats it, get out of my office, I have to be in court." When we left the office in the parking lot of the courthouse the police officer stated to the witness "If he gets mad about the outcome I'll come down there and kick his ass". Were my civil or victim rights violated? What can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Civil rights laws are in place to protect against those who act in violation of constitutional protections under color of law, such as police officers.

You are right to seek to hire a lawyer in your locale, because without a lot more detail, no further observation is possible.

Good luck to you. You should consult with a local attorney to determine your rights and the best remedy for your situation.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.


From the fact pattern it is difficult to say if your civil rights were violated but they might have been. You should contact a local attorney, especially if race or national origin played a role here.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer