Skip to main content

Welfare investigation.

Duncannon, PA |

I won money at the casino and played it back, and now am being investigated by the welfare office. I didn't leave there a winner so I never claimed the money I won. I get help with food stamps and medical assistance. Can you tell me what is going to happen to me? The win lose statement also shows I was a loser, I have been informed I have a gambling problem so I just put myself on the banned list with the casino, but am worried about what is going to happen to me

This is about a problem with welfare and the assistance office not SS

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You should likely contact legal aid to help you with this. It is important to get your documents showing your total assets. If you are on SSI, which it sounds like you are; gambling winnings, lottery winnings and prizes are counted as unearned income subject to the general rules pertaining to income and income exclusions. SS does not subtract gambling losses from gambling winnings in determining an individual's countable income. As such, they will probably find that the money you received should have been offset by the amount you won.



No where in my question was I asking about SSI, I was talking about welfare/county assistance


This is not really a Social Security question so I will try to repost for you.

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.