We have placed your case on processing hold because the required security checks remain pending ( a letter from USCIS)? mean?

Des Moines, IA |

How long does it really take to clear this ?it has been almost 2 months after AOS interview ? does infopass appointment really work ?I have heard people in big cities take them way less than that , shouldn't be quicker in smaller offices ?

Best Answer

It means your case will not move forward until the security clearance is done. Your case is basically stuck until then. Did you receive a notice in the mail for a fingerprinting appointment? Perhaps you should inquire at USCIS about it. They should have sent out a notice if you needed fingerprinting such as if it has never been done before or if it's been a while since you last had them done - however, it wouldn't be the first time they either sent such a request to a wrong address, did not send it out at all or something somehow got lost. Once the security clearance is completed - provided you have no security issues such as a criminal background - depending on the type of AOS, it should take a few months only. 2-4 months is for problem-free marriage-based AOS (you did not mention if your AOS is based on this). Good luck!

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

Yes, schedule an info pass appointment ASAP. Best option to get what's going on "straight from the horse's mouth." :)

Thank you, I went for a fingerprinting appointment like 3 months ago, and then we went for the AOS interview based on marriage to USC..I don't have no security issues at all ..Why does it take that long in Des Monies? i went there a couple of times and no one was there,we were the only couple! I have friends in NY,CA,and Chicago and it didn't take that long ?

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

Pretty sure due to case backlog and cases being transferred around between different offices and officers. FYI you can't just show up there but need to schedule the infopass appointment. You can do it by e-mail on their website and/or by phone.

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

Also if an attorney was involved, the attorney should be able to follow up on your behalf.

Thank you,yes I did that on their website .How long does AOS based on marriage take in Des monies from your experience ? I heard they approve people on the spot a lot? by the way we need to contact you,are you far from Des monies ? How to schedule an appointment or talk to you ?

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

My phone number is listed right here on my profile - are you able to view it? I live a little less than 2 hours from DSM. I would be happy to assist. I have never experienced anyone in Des Moines getting approved on the spot - depending on what is meant by that. It is not uncommon for an officer to say, "I don't foresee any problems and you should be hearing from us shortly" or something to that effect, but they never just "hand out" the green card. And as my colleague attorney Ruby noted, your wait time is not an unusually long one at this point at all. 2-4 months for problem-free marital adjustment of status have been the norm that I am aware of; however, perhaps there was a delay in your case due to the security issue, or for whatever other internal CIS reason.

Yes , we just saw your profile,and got the phone number..we will call you soon. I am going also next week for the infopass appointment ,and thank your for the reassurance,at least I know now its normal for Des Moines .

Gunda Johanna Brost

Gunda Johanna Brost

My pleasure.

that doesn't strike me as terribly long, but you can schedule an infopass at this stage if you're particularly concerned

This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed, now or in the future. This is just a casual opinion expressed about a hypothetical situation.

It means exactly that, that the case will not proceed until the security checks are completed. How long security checks take do not depend on the size of the office handling the matter.

The Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit has stated that "federal immigration laws are exceedingly complex"

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

http://www.scribd.com/document_downloads/direct/161849063?extension=pdf&ft=1377190078&lt=1377193688&source=embed&user_id=31316545&uahk=pNwPTA0XfMGrF0fv2qN6Bhux

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.