Skip to main content

We have not lived together for over twenty years, no property of child support issues. She lives in NJ, me in NY

Warwick, NY |
Attorney answers 3


How long have you been living in NY? If it is more than two years, you can file in NY. If it is less than two years, much more information is necessary to answer your question.

It is always advisable to contact an attorney. For a consultation, please contact my office at 516-669-3295. We are located in West Babylon, NY and proudly offer very low rates and free consultations. <a href="">Please visit us on the web.</a>


If you meet the NY residency requirements you may file in either NY or NJ. The benefit of filing in NY is that you can avoid court appearances if both you and your spouse can agree to an uncontested divorce. Feel free to contacts our offices for a free consultation. (800) 518-0211.

Please note that this general response to your inquiry does not establish an attorney-client relationship.You should consult with a competent attorney for advice regarding your particular situation.


If the residency requirements are met by you, you can file in NY or if she meets the residency requirements in NJ she can file there.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.