Skip to main content

We have all valid I-94 with D/S but visas are expired. do we have to renew all together or can i go alone first.

New York, NY |

Somebody told me the dependents will loose their status due to my new visa as the old one will be canceled in the process.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Generally speaking as long as you are maintaining your status it doesn't matter if the visa is expired. So if you're in school with a valid I-20 you're fine. As are you dependents. If you have to travel outside of the US you will need to obtain a new visa to enter. I've certainly had cases where dependents did it at a different time than the principal beneficiary of the visa with no problem so I don't think that they would lose their status as long as you're re-entering with the same status.

A colleague can correct me if I'm wrong though.

My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney before taking any action. My office offers free consultations.


What is your current status? What type of visas?

609-271-3573. This answer is for informational purposes only. It should not be construed as legal advice.



I visa I am a journalist


Are you a student?

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.



No a journalist with I visa


Ask your school DSO with respect to maintaining your legal status if still in school.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602