Skip to main content

We are poor is it in my daughter's best interests to get her a Guardian Ad Litem to stop these people from institutionalizing?

Spokane, WA |

unprecedented case! my daughter currently lives at a school for children w needs. an ex girlfriend's parents legal financially strong armed me into a nonparental custody agreement. Unbenounced to me their intention was to keep her there till she is 18. they don't want her to live with them, but they refuse to agree to allow her to come home, it is what all of the professionals including the school, therapist, child, parents, siblings all want. I am the mother, nothing wrong with home. they never had to show cause because i couldn't afford for my attorney to fight for us in court. I was just trying to get my daughter the help she needs. Over 6 different lawyers have all had the same reactions of disbelief and confusion as us, then each one has a different interpretation of the documents.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


You may be able to modify or terminate a nonparental custody decree if there has been a substantial change of circumstances, and you are able to resume custodial duties. It’s always best to consult with a good family law attorney to discuss the details before you act. See my AVVO Legal Guides on nonparental custody and modification of parenting plans for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. Click on my photo. On my AVVO home page click on "View Contributions" or scroll down further and click on "Legal Guides." Scroll down the list of my 29 Legal Guides and select the topics relevant to your question. If you like my answer and Legal Guides, please make sure you mark them as “helpful.”

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer