Skip to main content

Water main flood damage in city of Lockport.

Lockport, IL |

A water main broke outside my house and caused a whole lot of damage to the house. My homeowners insurance will not cover. The contract says it does not cover this. I spoke to someone from the city and they said they are immune from being sued. I need to get my house repaired but need money. Are they really immune? That seems crazy to me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Do you own this home or are you renting it? If your Homeowner's insurance does not cover this, you probably do not have much recourse. The City does have immunity for many things and assuming this was based on negligence of some kind (the city worker's doing something incorrectly), you probably will not recover from the City. You should speak with an attorney in more detail about this to get a more thorough answer.

This response is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice.



I own the home. I do not see how they could have immunity? They can do whatever they want and get away with it? They own the pipes and water mains. It bursted. They should be liable. Do you have code or statute makes them immune? Thanks for your response.

Stephanie Elise Greenberg

Stephanie Elise Greenberg


I cannot give you the code or statute on here. That is getting into straight legal advice. You need to consult with an attorney privately and have them help you in this matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer