Was wondering what a disturbing the peace summons do to a person in court, if they plead guilty or innocent, any one can help

Brooklyn, NY |

i was wondering what a disturbing the peace summons can do to a person in court, if they plead guilty or not guilty, and is there any lawyers here that help with such a case, because want to prove that it was not disturbing the peace, and that its innocence, and also don't have much money to give, maybe something low if you can help. I want someone though with a great track record though to help with showing its innocence

There is no such violation to my knowledge in NY, and you may be referring to disorderly conduct which is a violation. You will qualify for a public defender/legal aid if you are indigent and request appointed counsel in court at your first appearance.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.

Can someone bring an Attorney on that day of the summons

Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

You can bring an attorney with you at any time.

I think when you mention Indigent, your saying poor or needy, which is what I look in term of its definition. I was wondering how poor or needy do you have to be, because I need to know what are the options are available, and will I be eligible for a lawyer after after a decision is made of guilty or not guilty for first appearance or will there be a free legal aid lawyer available before announcing a decision. I believe I heard that a legal lawyer is free for first time appearance right before the case starts, and is this true that there will be one waiting for a person at court even without ever speaking to before the court date.

When does a person know they are eligable fore a free legal aid lawyer, does one bring statements from there income to prove there income, also is a decision on weather a person can get free legal help made available before they want to announce there not guilty.

I have handled such matters in Brooklyn for 30 years and it would usually be possible to get an ACD dismissal in just one appearance. As long as you are not re-arrested in 6 months the case would be dismissed and there would be no fine. It would be a low fee as it is likely just one short appearance at the Brooklyn Courthouse.
John J. Carney Esq. 917 696 2363

Thinking about using a free legal lawyer, is there a difference between what a free one can do to you or paid one can do, also when having a summons do you have a free lawyer already prepared for you that day or do you get one if you plan plead not guilty?

I meant to say to do you get one after pleading not guilty, meaning that one will not be appointed to you until you decide not to plead guilty, just wondering.

Actually my question has been answered for having a lawyer that day, but what does indigent refers to in terms of what the first answers means. I need to know though also is there a difference between what a free one can do to you or paid one can do,

John J. Carney

John J. Carney

You should always use a retained lawyer because they are able to usually get the best plea or get the case dismissed for many reasons.