Skip to main content

Was just wondering how much I can receive in a injury settlement?

Bronx, NY |

In January I was attacked by a girl and was sliced in my face with a bottle from the top of my eyebrows straight through my eyelids down to my chin I received over a100 stitches inside n outside my face.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 14


It depends on many facts which are not listed in your post. Much more information is needed.

This does sound like a serious injury. As such, you should seek a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney in your area. Many attorneys, such as myself, offer free 30 minute consultations in the 5 boroughs.

Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.


There is simply not enough information posted here to address the question. This is something you need to discuss with your attorney. If you trust his/her judgment and advice, then that should suffice. If not, then you have to re-evaluate your attorney/client relationship. No one here knows how your scars healed, if there is insurance coverage or the circumstances of the incident.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.


You should speak to an attorney to discuss this case. There are many issues that effect the answer to your question. The first being whether the woman who injured you has any assets that you could attach in order to satisfy a judgment or recover a settlement?

See a lawyer. Good luck!


The answer to your question depends upon many factors. The first issue to consider is liability, the circumstances uder which you were attacked. The next issue is, who is responsible; is there anyone in addition to the girl who is responsible. Next issue is damages, what type of scar resulted, functional disability, cost of care. Then you must consider the ability to pay by those responsible. Is there insurance that will provide coverage, do the responsible parties have assets, etc. You should review everything with an attorney that handles personal injury cases.

This answer is not intended as legal advice, nor as a substitute for legal advice received from an attorney during a consultation. Your rights and obligations may vary depending upon facts not disclosed in your question. Therefore, you should contact an attorney immediately so that your interests are properly protected.


You have not provided enough information to answer the question and I'm not sure you could here. Your injuries sound severe but you may have an issue with finding insurance coverage since an intentional act is typically not covered by insurance. Thus, unless the girl that assaulted you has substantial assets, your chance of making a substantial recovery is likely limited. However, if the incident occurred in a club or other facility, there is a chance, however slight, that you could potentially hold the club or facility liable for providing inadequate security or, if its an employee with a history of similar action, obtaining some liability however there may still be an insurance issue. It sounds like you may be fighting an uphill battle unless the girl has assets, but it all depends upon the facts and circumstances surrounding the incident. Consult with an attorney as soon as you can. Good luck.

New York Plaintiff's Personal Injury Attorney Serving NYC, Long Island, Westchester and the surrounding areas. The information provided herein is not, and is not intended to be, legal advice. The content herein is for information and educational purposes only, and is based on the limited information provided. Any information provided is not intended to, and does not, create any attorney/client relationship where none exists. For legal advice, please consult with an attorney. While this posting is made for informational purposes only for the AVVO community, to the extent one seeks to contact me based on the content herein, or that this may be viewed by some to be attorney advertising, please be advised of the following: *Attorney Advertising


Depends if she has insurance or is the landlord or someone else responsible. See a local personal injury lawyer. The injuries are large, the liability and insurance are questionable.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or


Way too many factors exist to give you an accurate answer. However, what you must do is find a competent personal injury attorney to investigate this case. It is likely that the assailant will not have any money to recover a judgment from. However, you may have an action for negligent supervision, negligent security, or something of that nature. Feel free to call our office. Initial consultations are always free of charge. You can reach us at (516) 280-4716.

Mr. Pascale is licensed to practice law in the State of New York. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and time-lines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Pascale strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their state in order to insure proper advice is received.


As you can gather from the previous answers, there are many factors that go into evaluating any injury. Insurance, venue, damages, permanency, severity of scar, etc... Hopefully you are represented by counsel. If you are, your attorney is in the best position to give you a range. If not, retain a local personal injury attorney as soon as you can.


We just closed a facial scarring case which was much less than your injury for $150,000.00. But the question is - who has the insurance on this. If the person who attached you does not have insurance to cover her law suit, no lawyer is going to touch this case. In our case, there was an auto insurer who is paying the settlement.


Talk to one of the attorneys listed here as soon as possible. Don't be surprised if you cannot receive anything. Act quick. DON'T DELAY.

Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure Defense, Consumer Defense and other areas of general practice primarily in Suffolk & Nassau County. His office, Alarcon Law Firm, practices only in New York State and offers the best attorney rates in the Long Island area. His office may be reached at (631) 867-2348.


It depends on whether the person has any money, or if this was on a business property, there may be an inadequate security claim against the property owner. Retain one of the above distinguished lawyers in your state to investigate.


I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. Who do you think is going to pay the money? Does the girl have assets?

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.

Hayley Greenberg

Greenberg & Merola, LLP, Attorneys at Law
91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 211, Hempstead, NY 11550, (516) 887-1975

521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700, New York, NY 10175, (212) 593-6111

Additional Offices: Queens & Brooklyn


I handled and tried a similar case in the mid 1990s. What we would need to know is where it happened and the facts leading up to it. The case is clearly worth a large number as it involves scars to your face and if they were through and through lacerations is most likely sensory nerve damage. But how much you will recover in a damages settlement or verdict will depend on the insurance coverage if any and the facts of the case.


Hire a personaly injury attorney in your state to review your file.

Attorney Stacy E. Pepper is licensed in all State and Federal Courts in Mississippi. He is a founding Partner in the law firm of Pepper & Odom, P.C. Nothing posted here constitutes any attorney client relationship and is meant for educational purposes only. Office hours are 8:00 a.m till 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Phone: 601-914-9219 Facsimile: 888-456-2160