Skip to main content

Was it a false claim of US Citizenship?

New York, NY |

I am resident alien for 12 years. About 7 years ago, my friend and I were driving cross-country. We accidentally crossed the US border into Canada. My friend turned the vehicle around, but we had to pass the US border for reentry. I was much younger and naive back then and my friend told me just say "Citizen" if asked, which is what I did when border patrol asked. They asked for my ID and I gave them my U.S. drivers license and determined I was not a US citizen and then detained me for questioning. I thoroughly apologized and said I made a really really big mistake. After validating my legal status (I also didnt have my green card), they eventually let me into the US.

Was that a false claim of US Citizenship?
Will that be a problem if I naturalize?
Will that show up on records?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5



The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.


Yes, you have made a false claim to U.S. citizenship. Yes, you will face a problem in the naturalization process. Yes, it is likely that it will show up on records.


Yes, indeed that was a false claim to US citizenship.
Yes, it will be, since you will have to disclose that and if you don't it might show up anyway.
Yes, am afraid it will.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Yes to all of your questions. Stop posting admissions on a public forum like Avvo. Instead, consult with an immigration lawyer.

The Murray Law Firm
50 Harrison Street, Suite 310F
Hoboken, NJ 07030-6151
T: (201)875-2600
Facebook: (Follow by clicking the "Like" button")

IMPORTANT: Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during an attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private attorney-client consultation. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, an attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual. For persons located in New Jersey: To the extent that Mr. Murray's profile can be considered an advertisement in New Jersey, which is denied, be advised that NO ASPECT OF THIS ADVERTISEMENT HAS BEEN APPROVED BY THE SUPREME COURT OF NEW JERSEY. Furthermore, the selection methodology for the SuperLawyers' "Rising Stars" awards is set forth at length at this website:


Best to consult an immigration attorney in person.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer