Skip to main content

Was arrested for DWI. Released on RR with a returned date. But they will not give me my car. My license is still valid. Car is

Bronx, NY |

Car is register to me. They say I need a ADA release why n what is this.

Am still paying for this car. I was stopped for my plate light being out. I have been out of work for 3 days already trying to get my car including going with my wife so they can give her the car. HELP really need my car.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The police likely vouchered the car as arrest evidence. If that is the case the police will not release the car with a property release from the DA. Even if the DA releases it the police may still try to forfeit the car.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.



Thanks, that's exactly. What happened. But they said they. Will release it with the Ada release.


The NYPD will typically settle these cases for $500 and satisfaction of any conditions imposed on you by the screening provider. The settlement process is pretty straightforward; really just a matter of filling out some paperwork. However, as one of my colleagues noted you will need a release from the DA. Your criminal lawyer should contact the DA's office for this. This can be a headache!


Your car is legally/technically evidence. Your attorney should seek a release from the DA.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
Immediate Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association 11'-12'
Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
Garden City, NY 11530
516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer