Skip to main content

Was appointed a GAL. What are the dos and dont when working with a GAL?

Seattle, WA |

Was appointed a GAL. What are the dos and dont when working with a GAL?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

A local nonprofit legal group published an information packet on this topic that offers good advice:

Good luck!

Avvo answers are attorney opinions offered for informational purposes only, and should not be relied upon as legal advice. Use of the Avvo Q&A forum does not create any attorney-client relationship.

Jack Richard Lebowitz

Jack Richard Lebowitz


That's a really good brochure, Ms. Forrest! I've downloaded it and saved it for my clients to read, even though some of the advice about Family Court proceedings is WA-state specific. If I could emphasize two takeaways from the brochure that are really important, they would be "Don't coach the children" (the LG's are aware of efforts to do so) and try to appear reasonable and focus on what's in the children's best interest, not just slamming the other parent and trying to get the LG to referee your dispute with your ex.


See my AVVO Legal Guides on child custody and GALs for more information about the legal issues raised by your inquiry. To find my Legal Guides, go the AVVO website at; click on “Find a Lawyer”; get to my AVVO home page by clicking on my name or photo; when you get to my AVVO home page scroll down to "Contributions" and then click "Legal Guides." You will get a list of the 29 Legal Guides I have published on AVVO. Scroll down this list and select the topics that are relevant to your question. You may also want to schedule a free ½ hour consultation with me by calling my office at 253-815-8440.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client relationship between you and the attorney responding, and no attorney-client confidentiality. The law changes frequently, and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information provided in this Answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. The applicable law and the appropriate answer may be different in the State or States where the relevant facts occurred. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes


I agree with the previous responses. A GAL is appointed to represent the best interest of the child. Depending on yoru case, a GAL will be interviewing teachers, doctors, people living with you, and they will be visiting your home. A GAL will make recommendations to the court regarding a parenting plan.

It is difficult to provide a do or don't without more information about you case. However, you should retain an attorney if you have concerns.

Peter J. Abbarno practices in the State of Washington; primarily in Thurston, Lewis, and Cowlitz counties. The response is limited to his understanding of law in the jurisdiction in which he practices and not to any other jurisdiction. No response to any posted inquiry shall constitute legal advice, nor the existence of an attorney/client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer