Skip to main content

Wanted to know if i can sue for negligence or if i can sue at all?

Fort Lauderdale, FL |

i live in ft lauder dale , Florida. i got a storage unit in public storage in June 13, i went to my storage on October 25,2013 to find out all my items was stolen and there camera was moved. i contacted the office and in future review of the tapes my unit was broken into on October 2 i was informed by one of the workers of publics storage and no one realized that the camera was tampered with and faced the wall for approximately 23 days,almost a month and one of my locks was changed. i have gotten no answers of how this was possible and now the insurance company is given me a hard time with my claim for my receipts, tax papers, pictures and bank information got stolen

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


It's Catch 22. You want to get reimbursed for the loss of your receipts and the want the receipts to prove your claim. Consult with an attorney who can advise you on how to proceed. Use Find a Lawyer here.

The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.


You should start by looking at your contract. You may have released any claims related to theft. If the release is too broad a court might find it against public policy or unconscionable. Of course if the storage company was complicit I don't think a court will let them hide behind a waiver but proving complicity might be a problem. You can see if the county consumer advocate can help you. If not will want to engage counsel.

There is no substitute for the professional advice of an attorney who knows your case and represents you. My post is not, and may not be relied on as, legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Best wishes for a just and expeditious resolution.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer