Skip to main content

WA state slander libel laws, procedure for civil and criminal action against hostile neighbor

Everett, WA |

My neigbor is angry with my husband and I because of a situation with her daughter babysitting for us. Now she is accusing us of leaving our children home alone. She also implicated herself that she is slandering us to our other neighbors telling them that we do this. Also she made the comment that she and our neighbors are "watching us" which to us is a direct threat. She called the police on us and also threatened to call CPS. The police officer came and told her there was nothing they could do. The police officer told us we should consider filing a anti harrassment case against her. Do we have a case, is what she is telling the neighbors slander and if we do take her to court does she have any recourse agains us.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


As but one example, a damaging untruthful spoken statement that you are a criminal might be defamation "per se". Slander is an untruthful spoken statement about a person that harms the person's reputation or standing in the community. Far too many variables exist in the short post you wrote for any further observation by me.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer"

Good luck to you.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney with whom you have established an attorney client relationship and all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer