Skip to main content

WA state divorce law, procedure to appeal overturn a divorce decree

Everett, WA |

Can an order in a divorce decree be overturned? My husband signed his divorce over 10 years ago, the copy of the papers that he signed do not match the papers that are filed with the courts. She is taking him to court for contempt to pay a 12K debt for a loan that was hers that she obtained right before she left. In the papers he signed (he made a copy before sending them back to her) this loan was not mentioned. Now she is taking him for contempt and the papers that she included in her petition show that he is ordered to pay half. Not to mention the statute of limitations on paying this debt had expired and she paid it because in her words" Maybe a contempt order will finally show you that you are a piece of S*** and that I control everything" This started becuase he did not call his son while we were on our honeymoon and she flipped out (Yes I have an e mail from her in writing stating why she is doing this),

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


If the statute of limitations on paying this debt had expired there may not be an avenue to use the courts in the modification of divorce decree process. This is a very detailed fact situation so check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!"

You might find my Legal Guide helpful "How to Choose A Lawyer For You."

You might read my Legal Guide "Can An Attorney Really Help?"

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer