Skip to main content


Atlanta, GA |

Just got married last year and we need to adjust our W-4. We cannot find 2013 W-4 anywhere including IRS website. Can we use 2012 W-4 instead to turn into our employers? Thanks

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Who is your employer? You usually provide the W-4 to your employer. If you google the W-4 form it comes right up, but you are right that it is the 2012 version. I've attached it for reference a draft of the 2013 form. The IRS has probably not released the updated form yet as a result of the changes to the payroll tax that have just occurred in the fiscal cliff legislation.


You can use the 2012 W-4 form and then if you wish, submit an updated form once it's released.

Congrats on the Marriage!

Evan A. Nielsen is licensed to practice law in California. The information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not intended as legal advice for a particular matter. This response does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, please consult an attorney.


Yes, you may use the 2012 W-4. Remember, the 2% Social Security tax reduction was eliminated, so you will pay more tax. Depending on the income of your spouse, you may actually be paying more tax than as single or head-of-household.

Check with your tax preparer when you prepare your 2012 1040.

I hope this helps!

Ron Cappuccio

Government Regulations contained in IRS Circular 230 regulate written communications about Federal tax matters, including e-mail, between us and our clients. This is another attempt by the government to limit your rights and to extend the control of government over individuals and businesses. Nevertheless, such communications are either opinions or other written communications. This is not an opinion. It is other written communication and was not written to be relied upon, by itself, to avoid any tax penalties. In order to receive assurances of protection from tax penalties from a written communication, you should get an opinion letter. If you would like to discuss an opinion letter relating to any matter, please contact me and I will explain what is involved and what it will cost.


Check with your employer. It is standard for an employer to provide employees with such forms, and to assist with withholding changes.