Skip to main content

Visitor visa/student visa

New York, NY |

Can USA visitor visa holder can go to school in USA for 9 week English course study.? and is possible to apply for student visa from within the state and with the visitor visa?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A visitor visa holder may not usually enter into the U.S. to study. However, there is an old DOS cable that permits a person to enter for language classes as long as the classes are less than 18 hours per week. Whether or not the Customs and Border Protection office would permit your entry is their determination.


A student visa is required in order to study in the US.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


No. You need a student visa.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer