Skip to main content

Visitor married with green card holder....................

Raleigh, NC |

i am canadian pr and came us in a visiting visa, after while i got married with a guy who is a green card holder. can i stay with him untill he becomes us citizen. He will be us citizen after two years. After he becomes citizen what is the chance of becoming legal in US. Before he is citizen do the US gov allow me with Medicaid if I become pregnant.........One thing I was not in a position to immigrate it happened like that..........

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Unfortunately, because he is not a US Citizen, there are no visas immediately available for you to be able to legally stay in the US to complete the process to the green card. If you do stay, you will be out of status, and will probably be able to adjust your status once he becomes a US citizen.


If your husband files for a green card for you now, it could take about 4 years for a visa to become available for you. I agree that it might be better to wait for him to become a U.S. Citizen and then adjust your status.
Seeta L. Nangia, Esq.
Law Offices of Seeta Nangia
Exclusively Practicing Immigration Law
Phone: (415) 273-9123

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer