Visiting a Common Nuisance charge

Long Grove, IL |

Does my friend need a lawyer for being arrested and charged with "Visiting a Common Nuisance"?

Generally speaking, anyone who has been arrested needs a lawyer, although there are many exceptions. At the very least, your friend should discuss this odd charge with a lawyer to learn its meaning and the consequences of such a charge. Perhaps you misunderstood the actual charge.

Thank you, I agree with you. Do you know what the consequence would be if he does not get a lawyer? What is the best/worst case scenario here? It is a confusing situation because he actually was under the influence, and the cops searched the vehicle based upon the grounds that they smelled it, but he was NOT actually charged with being under the influence, or in possession. Rather, he was charged with "Visiting a Common Nuisance" or basically, "knowingly being in the same vehicle as the marijuana." I am curious, though...is there really any way they can prove that he knew about it? How would that hold up in court?

Yes.

Do you know what the consequence would be if he does not get one? What is the best/worst case scenario here? It is confusing situation because he actually was under the influence, and the cops searched the vehicle based upon the grounds that they smelled it, but he was NOT actually charged with being under the influence, or in possession. Rather, he was charged with "Visiting a Common Nuisance" or basically, "knowingly being in the same vehicle as the marijuana." I am curious, though...is there really any way they can prove that he knew about it? How would that hold up in court?