Skip to main content

Visitation time

Vineland, NJ |

if the non-custodial parent is in arrears for child support and has been non compliant with the present visitation agreement by only showing up less than half the time ordered , can they go to court and ask for more visiting time?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Unfortunately, a litigant can generally go to court and request any relief, whether it may be granted or not. If an individual is voluntarily not exercising his/her court ordered parenting time it is unlikely that a court would grant that person more parenting time. In fact, you may want to file a cross-motion seeking to have that individuals parenting time reduced so as to more accurately reflect the actual parenting time that had been exercised. If that party's parenting time is officially reduced you may be entitled to secure more child support.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
New Jersey Family Law Attorney

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.


I agree with Mr. White. While parents may make certain requests, it doesn't mean that the court will grant it if the parent doesn't even show responsibility in meeting their current visitation schedule.

DISCLAIMER: This communication does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not legal advice unless you have entered into a fee agreement with the Law Office of Anthony J. Van Zwaren, P.C. and have paid the required fees. The information contained in this email may be privileged. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or the information contained within it by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this message and any attachments from your system and notify us.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer