Skip to main content

VISA type to be changed while in the US.

Carmel, IN |

I am currently working in US on my H1. My husband is planning to come to US on L1 next month. My H1 Visa is going to expire soon and hence i would like to move as L2 when he comes to US. Can i change from my H1 to L2 without moving out of country, i.e. while being in the US itself.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes, you should ask your husband's employer's immigration attorney to file an L-2 Change of Status. If they are unwilling or their fees are too high, you can always hire your own lawyer, but you will need to get a copy of your husband's file for the new lawyer.

You will also want to file for an EAD card to ensure that you obtain work authorization. If this is done correctly you should not find yourself without work authorization. However if done poorly you could accidentally put yourself in a gap of time where you are waiting on the EAD after the L-2 approval before your can work again.

When you travel outside the US next you will need to go through Visa Stamping for the L-2 Visa Stamp prior to re-entering the US. This is only necessary if you travel outside the US.

Best regards,

(513) 549-4420

Representing clients throughout the US and around the world: (513) 549-4420. We cannot provide legal advice or recommendations unless you retain our law firm to represent you. No attorney/client relationship will begin until you sign a representation agreement and make a retainer payment to open a case with us. Any information found here is general in nature and should not be relied upon in individual cases.


Yes, you can. Ask your husband employer's to handle that or do it yourself with their cooperation.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


A change of status in the US is possible.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


Lalita Haran
Attorney: Immigration Law
13295 Illinois ST Ste 128
Carmel IN 46032
Ph: (317) 660-6174

Contact (317) 660-6174 for specific legal advice. Answers here are not legal advice because they are of general nature and not tailored to your specific situation. You should not act on this answer without checking with an Immigration Attorney.