Skip to main content

Visa Options

Boston, MA |

I am a US citizen, my fiancé is from Morocco. He came here on a student visa. He has two masters’ degrees and 4 years experience in his field (finance). When he finished school he had to return home. He is now in Canada taking some classes. He will be getting a visitor’s visa to return here. Can he adjust his visa to working statues until we get married? We have to save money and plan the wedding; this will take a couple of years. A company will not sponsor him because they need people with 7 to 10 years experience.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Your fiance could apply for a work visa in the U.S. if he received a job offer and the employer is willing to sponsor him for a work visa such as a H1B. Depending on his credentials, in some instances he might be able to sponsor himself.

It may be easier if you apply for a Fiance Visa for him to enter the U.S. Once he enters the U.S. on the Fiance Visa, he could apply for a work permit. But, you would have to get married within 90 days after he enters the U.S. If you truly plan to marry this person, you could have an inexpensive ceremony and continue to plan the official wedding in two years.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer