Skip to main content

Violated probation by turning myself into another state?

Flint, TX |

In 2009 I caught a burglary of habitation in texas. They put me on probation and transferred me back to illinois where I live. I then caught a possession of controlled substance less than one gram in illinois. Illinois put me on probation even though I was on probation in texas. My p.o. told me to call texas and see what they say. Texas said I had a warrant and gave me 30 days to turn myself in. I came to texas and they gave me 4 years in tdc. I did 2 years and made parole. I am currently waiting for my interstate compact to IL. My po in illinois said he violated my probation by coming to texas and leaving state lines to turn myself in. I just did 2 years and this charge is 1-3. I don't have money for a lawyer. What should Ido and what will probably happen to me?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You're entitled to an court appointed attorney in IL if you cannot afford one. You need to let Texas Parole know about the situation going on in IL to see if there is a warrant or if they want you to go up there and face the charges without IL having to come pick you up in Texas.

IL should understand your situation because they put you on probation knowing your situation in Texas. At least this is the argument your soon to be attorney in IL should be making for you to have your probation continued.


Erick Platten
State Wide Representation

Avvo attorney's donate their time to answer question on this forum. If an answer to a question addresses you needs please indicate so by clicking the best answer or that it was helpful too.


You need to get the money together to hire a lawyer. The problem is when your going back and forth between states and not notifying anyone those are violations. When you came to Texas, it was a violation of your probation. If you go back it will be a violation of your parole. You must let them know when you are moving to States.

This answer is general information only and is not legal advice, does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should NOT be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action.