Skip to main content

Violated my probation failing a drug test and M.I.P and another possession of marijuana charge how much time am I looking at ?

Alpharetta, GA |

I am already on probation for marijuana (under first offense) i failed a drug test at probation and I violated my probation with a M.I.P and a possession of marijuana charge again I plan to plead not guilty to the possession charge only in court how much time am I looking at in jail I don't have a lawyer?

Im on a year probation already im still awaiting to go to court fo these charges january 9th

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You are subject to having the balance of your probation revoked plus the additional time for the new charges. If your first case was a felony, and you pled pursuant to the First Offender Act, you could be re-sentenced up to the maximum, which is 10 years. I would strongly encourage you to hire an attorney who can help with damage control on your case. If you can beat the new charges the positive drug test, while not good, can easily be explained or mitigated.


You should speak with an attorney in order to mitigate or lessen the consequences as much as possible. You should also try to enroll in some sort of drug classes or see if the state offers this as part of a pretrial intervention program. If you're able to hire an attorney, feel free to contact me.


You could have the balance of your probation revoked, and if this is misdemeanor possession of marijuana less than an ounce, you are facing a maximum sentence of up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on Georgia law, and is not directly applicable to any other jurisdictions, states, or districts. This response, or any response, is not legal advice. This response, or any response, does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information. Any state specific concerns should be directed to an attorney who is licensed to practice law in that respective state.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer