Skip to main content

Verbal Abuse at a nursing home?

Texas |

My father lives at a nursing home the staff tells him to shut-up numerous times a week, there is another resident who "flirts" with him he will say very nasty things to him he will even blow kisses at him in front of everyone. I have complain to everyone and one staff member laughed in my face. I am also in charge of his money and I am in a dispute about the bill and they informed him I was going to go to jail over it which has made him very upset. He has mental problems so that has made him even worse than he was a week ago. They seemed to take my complaints with a grain of salt so I went to the state but do I have other opitions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The first thing I would do is make a formal complaint with the organization that licenses and certifies nursing homes in the State of Texas. Here in California it is the Department of Public Health. I am sure there is a formal complaint-making process, and you should follow it. Second, I would move him to a new facility. I know that is frequently easier said than done, and I don't know your personal circumstances, but if it's that bad, maybe you should consider a different facility. Those are my thoughts. Good luck.


Move your father to another facitility.

File a complaint on the nursing home by contacting Texas Dept. Human Services at 1-800-458-9858.

For free information on Texas nursing home claims, please visit the link below.


Definitely file a complaint with your local regulatory agency. Here in Illinois, it's the Illinois Department of Public Health. You may also look at moving your father to a different home. Best of luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer