Skip to main content

VAWA self petition, help, thanks!

Tustin, CA |

I have a history of abuse with my USC husband and I have proof. We have a son. I actually managed to leave him after he threaten me with a knife. I have a restraining order but no police reports. Many of the immigration/vawa clinics don't want to help me because they say a police report is a must. I'm really sad, how can I pursue this if I have no police report, is it necessary? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


A police report is NOT required, but it helps... a lot
If you can prove abuse in other ways, such as through restraining order and other court documents, you may be successful. Hire a lawyer if you can. Many take VAWA cases pro bono or "low bono".. best of luck

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 Enjoy our Blog at


There are ways to get around the police report. You should definitely retain an attorney for this application, though. Best of luck!

Dhenu Savla
SwagatUSA, LLC
Nationwide immigration law practice


I agree with my colleagues.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.