Skip to main content

Vawa abused relationship

Selma, AL |

have been married to a US citizen for last 5 months and we had been dating 1 year before we got married in the begining every thing was good but suddenly my wife's behaviour started to change towards me . she was diagnosed with ovary cancer just after we got married but she can not afford a treatment cz she was covered by her father's health insurance and she was excluded from it cz of her marriage to me .she started to blaming me for every thing she has been going through and started treating me badly cursing yelling at me calling me names infront of my family and friends. by that time we had already filled i 130 and 1 485 for me (i came to US on a student visa ). now the situation is that she has quit her job she makes me pay all the bills and rent plus i have to give her money for her perseonal expenses . if i dont she hold threat of withdrawing i 130 and get me deported since illegal immigration law has been passed in alabama (we located in montgomery AL) if she withdraw i 130 and just call the police i would be detained by them for illegal presence in the country. since its a crime to be an illegal immigrant in alabama ... i have been going through a lot of stress and anxiety i am badly stuck in an abusive relationship my friends can not come to my house if i go see them she keeps tabs one me and call all my freinds and inquire about me some times she turn into a an evil person .. i perseonally think she is suffering from a bipolar disorder . now a friend told me about vawa self petition can be my way out of this i contacted a lawyer she told me that i can file for vawa and get out of this abusive situation she told me if my friends can testify about her abusive behavioor towards me i am gonna be able to get a green card on my own are my question... is this true ?..... isn't vawa is hard to get approved for men? .. dont you need medical reports and police reports to proof your case ? i dont have neither one of them since i have never been abused physically... am i gonna be able to make my case only on the basis of freinds testimoney and letter from my therapist? ..... please help me any suggestion any advice would be greast

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


That is a lot of facts, but to answer one of your questions, yes VAWA petitions can be approved for men. As to your other questions, there is not set standard of sufficient evidence for VAWA claims, i.e. if I show a doctor's report I automatically get approved. The standard is "any credible evidence" which is wide and broad. I can tell you since the act specifically mentions Violence Against Women, men were not the immediate target, but you can apply as a man, and as long as you can sit down with your attorney and build a strong enough case the rest is in the government's hands. You need to openly communicate any concerns with your attorney.

The statement above is only for general knowledge purposes and at no time intended to be a legal opinion. The individual posting the question and those reading should always obtain the advice of a qualified attorney. No attorney/client relationship is established.


You need to contact an experienced immigartion attorney or BIA approved agency who can assist you with the VAWA application and process. There are many qualified legal services agencies and other immigration clinics who have training in VAWA regulations who can assist.

Legal disclaimer: The statement above is provided by CC Abbott is based on general assistance and not intended to be a legal opinion because not all the facts are provided. The person requesting information and all others reading the answer should retain an attorney who is permitted by the state bar within the jurisdiction who can examine the complete facts and provide a legal opinion on your case. All information provided in the above answer and other information provided by CC Abbott does not create an attorney/client relationship within any state of Federal law.


I do a half dozen VAWAs a month and 80% are for men. I have never lost a single VAWA but you need to know what you are doing. Give my office a call for a free phone consult.

Khaja M. Din, Esq.
Din | Memmen, Inc.

Chicago Office
4518 North Kedzie Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625

Madison Office — By Appointment Only
Main Street Justice
354 West Main Street
Madison, WI 53703

Free Initial Consult For Your Immigration Questions

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer