Van stolen from outside home, police notified. detective finds van in other township. vehicle ok to drive but towed and stored ?

Folsom, PA |

After a few weeks without any updates, received call that van was found abandoned in nearby township. Van was used for work, all tools missing (did not have complete coverage). Upon immediate arrival to meet with officer at location, we were told it had to be towed (after officer had me start car). Low on funds, I could not remove van from storage and it is still there. I need it to continue working. Are there any laws to help me in this situation? Thank you

As a general matter, police are allowed to preserve evidence of a crime. Here the van potentially represents evidence - i.e. the police typically "process" a stolen vehicle for evidence that may lead to the arrest of the perps, therefore, I think their allowed to tow it. As far as a law that would help you in this case, I would first look to the tow policy of the department with regard to reuniting victims with their vehicles...