Skip to main content

Value of MD doctor degree earned in 2005 during the marriage, imputing self employment income - unemployed, value Green card

Camden, NJ |

Hi, My spouse came to US on dependent visa, used my visa status, took contributions from me to earn MD which took about 4+ years and completed it in 2005, obtained Green Card though my employment, I travelled hard missed my family life to establish the family and now she was caught cheating on my back and filed divorce to get together with another physicina colleague, not only that she is taking the kids also to another marriage but demands hefty support, imputing income, though unemployed currently, kids saw me travelling and now claim that I didnot take them to activities and was busy with my work. I feel like having lost on all grounds while trying to give my family the basis to stay in US, earn their Masters and be kicked in the end. Judge is not able to see through sacrifices, help!!!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You can't afford not to retain experienced legal counsel to represent you through this. There are many issues raised in your post and the court will listen if they are properly framed and presented. The answer to the question as to the "value" of an M.D. degree truly depends on so many individual circumstances that an answer in this format is not even possible.

I do wish you the best.

This answer is offered for informational purposes only. It is not offered as, and does not constitute, legal advice. Laws vary widely from state to state. You should rely only on the advice given to you during a personal consultation by a local attorney who is thoroughly familiar with state laws and the area of practice in which your concern lies.


You really need to consult with a divorce attorney - especially if she has filed for divorce. Once you have been served you have 35 days to respond. Some of your issues are not clear but one thing is that if she is remarrying the only support she can get from you is child support - and that is based solely upon the income of both parents - additionally you do not have to give up on your children. But you cannot deal with this through an email service - you must see an attorney now.

Disclaimer: This information is being provided for educational/informational purposes. It is not to be considered legal advice and no attorney/client privilege was established as a result of same.


It depends on what rulings a judge issued however the value of an advanced degree is not considered in NJ.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer