Vacating a judgment after bankruptcy

Paterson, NJ |

Which form do I need to file to vacate a judgment that was included in bankruptcy in NJ?

First, why would you need to vacate a judgment that was discharged in bankruptcy? It is now uncollectable, so there is no point in vacating it. Second, you are talking about 2 separate issues - vacating a judgment has to be done in the court that issued it, not with the bankruptcy court, and you'll need a reason other than it was discharged in bankruptcy.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

In NJ you have to wait one year, and then file to vacate a judgment that was discharged in bankruptcy.

Michael J Corbin

Michael J Corbin

You aren't talking about vacating a judgment - you are talking about a motion for cancellation of judgment - that is done in the local court, not the bankruptcy court.

Do you know which form is used to cancel a judgment in NJ?

Michael J Corbin

Michael J Corbin

Contact court administration where the judgment is entered - they can give you the paperwork.

I agree with Attorney Corbin. You cannot vacate a judgment because of bankruptcy. The judgment is valid; it is simply unenforcable because it is subject to the bankruptcy discharge and permanent stay.

Advice on this forum is for informational purposes only and should never be mistaken as a substitute for legal advice. If you are in need of legal advice, you should consult local legal counsel.

Atorney Corbin is corect. I am an NJ Bankruptcy Counsel and Counselor Corbin explained it properly

The previous information is solely for informational purposes only. If you have further questions, please contact an attorney in your area for more specific answers. Responding to your question in no way creates an attorney/client relationship, and none of the specific guarantees of privacy exist. If you have found this information helpful, kindly check the "helpful" box.